Friday, September 24, 2010

Sarcasm, or an overdeveloped sense of irony?

I can't remember what led to it, but one day the prettiest girl in my confirmation class said to me,"You're too sarcastic!". I was a bit nonplussed; I figured I said things because of the Norwegian gene pool and this girl was just as Norwegian as I, which is to say 50%. Still, I could always stun my contemporaries with vocabulary, and maybe they misunderstood me; the result was that a neighbor cousin dubbed me "professor", a destiny that illustrates her prescience (unless it was the idea of her good friend, to whom I later sold a car.)
I will freely say that the most useless things I learned back then were the rules of grammar, which have been falling by the wayside every since at the cow college I took what we called "spitten and broken English." The first doggone day, the blooming professor, in a three-piece suit, yet, miss-spelled a word on the blackboard, before our very eyes. Still, I really enjoy vocabulary, if only for the anecdotes and jokes. There was the day Mrs Noah Webster caught him in the pantry kissing the maid. She said, "Noah, I am surprised!" and he replied, "No, my dear, you are astonished. I am surprised.
Just one more and then I must go. An English professor walks into a lunch place and orders
"Figs and cream, please" She brings a dish of figs covered with cream and he says, "I ordered figs and cream." and she says that's what I brought. He says,"This is figs with cream" She starts to stammer, "Aren't they the same thing?" He says, "would you say a woman and child is the same as a woman with child?"
Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment