Thursday, November 12, 2009

You can (hardly ever) have too many facts

When I was entering teenage, I learned from reading cereal boxes that vitamin B-1 has a scientific name, thiamine. Sixty years later, with a partially barren building lot to furnish, I also learned that the stuff also promotes root growth and is thus very useful for transplanted bushes. Hence, a few mornings ago, I strolled into Ace Hardware, with the vivacious young women to check you out (financially) and asked where I would find thiamine. For my previous bottle, several years ago, I walked up to the more experienced garden lady and a fair estimate would be 15 seconds she took to walk 20 steps, grab a bottle, and return. This time, a different lady was there and she had no opinion. I looked over all the planting-transplanting supplies and found it labelled vitamin B-1. Mission accomplished, after a little groping. (NO, NOT THE KIND OUR MUSCULAR GUBERNATOR DOES!)

1 comment:

  1. Well, maybe not *too* many facts, but certainly seeming *unnecessary* facts. You should remember Americans don't *like* science; it reminds them that the icebergs are disappearing and sunny days in November are not really a good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete