Monday, November 2, 2009

On negatives having no positives and other anomalies

I once had this student who was fond of unusual constructions. He would listen very carefully to my explanation of a difficult phenomenon and if satisfied, he would say, "Okay, I'm
gruntled". My mind simmered an appropriate rejoinder until one day, after several rainy days, the sun began peeking out and I said to him, "Well, do you think the weather is turning clement?" He had no oral reply; maybe his French had receded too far for him to say
"Touchee". Where are my foreign punctuation marks, Bill Gates?

As a language fanatic, some of my worst scorn is reserved for those who say,"I could care less" when they mean, literally, "I could NOT care less". Some of the fun of being a language fanatic is thinking up new and amusing constructions; thus "always the more" is synonymous with the recognized word "nevertheless". In the spirit of my student inspirer, shortly before my departure from my industrial career, one of my reports to my boss said that certain experimental results were "evitable".

Of the anomalous nature, I would like to begin with the words "payor" and "payee", meaning respectively, the person who pays a debt and the person to whom it is paid. Thus, I am moved to most disrespectful language by the news reporters who speak of the person who by subterfuge gets out of jail without authorization. The reporter is apt to call the person who escaped as an "escapee"; I say he is an "excaper", whereas the jail he left early deserves to be called the "escapee". I would be interested to hear calm and cogent arguments refuting my stand here.

1 comment:

  1. The irony here is that This Follower tends to agree with a good many of The Language Fanatic's sentiments, save times like this one, when she tries out "escaper" and "escapee" in her head and discovers she is admittedly comfortable with this use of "escapee". Sacre Bleu! Will not The Language Fanatic experience heartbreak and despair at this discovery? She tries to imagine a justification for the media's infraction, how they came to skipping ignorantly down The Path of Incorrect Usage, and is most easily gruntled by *another* of The Language Fanatic's pasttimes: quoting famous American musicals. Indeed, what explanation can we give for the media's folly?? Tradition.....TRADITION!

    ReplyDelete